Tuesday 27 April 2010

Chapter 13: A guy like you & a girl like me

~*Bella*~

Finally freshly showered and dressed after Edward's impromptu visit, I made my way downstairs. I had only eaten an hour ago but my stomach was already grumbling for more. So without a second thought I decided to raid Alice's chocolate provisions. I swung open the fridge door, enjoying the small burst of cool air against my face and the quiet hum that greeted me. I eyed up the chocolate carefully before plucking a packet of Reese's Cups from the pile. I fucking loved peanut butter, especially with, in or on chocolate. I nudged the door shut with my shoulder before something sparkly caught my eye. I leaned in for a closer look. It was a list of emergency phone numbers for the babysitter. Adorning the top was the huge sparkly sticker that had piqued my interest. Alice loved to decorate, anything and everything, so the fact she'd prettied up a simple list of phone numbers didn't surprise me in the least.

As I fumbled with the chocolate wrapper I began casually scanning the list, curious to see who was on it. One Reeses Cup and seven names later I saw my own, along with my now old cell number. I felt a sudden pang of guilt bite at me for being such a shitty friend to someone who trusted me enough to take care of her children in an emergency. Guilt soon turned to surprise when I saw that directly underneath my name was Edward's. I ran my fingers lightly over his name, which had been written in Alice's fancy scribble, wondering if it would make him magically reappear in the kitchen. I'd been disappointed at his sudden hasty departure and had found myself wishing that he hadn't gone at all. I stared hard at his number, concentrating as I tried to rationalize things in my head. I barely knew the guy and yet the smallest thought of him made my stomach flip, my head spin and my heart pound furiously in my chest. I'd never felt like this before, not even for Jake. It wasn't unpleasant ….just…unfamiliar.

I snatched up my cell phone from the table, suddenly glad that Jasper had been nice enough to pick one up for me a few days after my surprise arrival. The day after, I'd called both my mom and my dad from the privacy of my room. Apologies were blurted out and explanations not given. I assured them both I was safe but only my dad knew that I was with Alice. If I'd told my mom and sworn her to secrecy, all it would take was one call from Jake with some sob story and she would have given him my exact whereabouts quicker than you can say cheating bastard.

I typed out a quick text and hit send. Sure enough, my phone chirped back at me. Thankfully he'd realized it was me. I wondered whether he'd mind that I'd taken his number from the list and used it without his permission. I made a note to ask him later and sent him back a swift reply. By the end of our quick yet insightful exchange, I'd been persuaded (in quite possibly the most adorable fucking way) into helping him shop for party decorations, and in turn I'd roped him into helping me out with the cake. Stuffing my phone into my jeans pocket, I left him to his hunt for the perfect moon bounce and threw on some flip flops. Locking up behind me, I started my lazy stroll to Alice's store.

I opened the door and the little bell chimed above my head. I giggled to myself. All was quiet so I yelled to make myself known. "Ali...? Are you here or did you get eaten by a Venus Fly trap?"

Her flustered little face appeared from behind the counter. "Finally! The store is a five minute walk from the house at most! What took you so long?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but she cut me off, leaving me gaping like a fish.

"On second thoughts, don't answer. Can you do puke duty at the birthday party?"

"Can I do what?"

"You know…watch out for any kids who look like they're gonna hurl on the moon bounce…"

"Uh….yeah I guess…"

She clapped her hands together with glee before sending a text, no doubt to Jasper. "Thank you Bells!!"

"Geez it's only projectile vomit, no need to get so excited."

She rolled her eyes and changed the subject. "It's been a while since you've been here."

I closed my eyes and breathed in the beautiful heady scents surrounding me. "I know…I'm sorry"

Alice had enrolled herself in an evening class at the local community center when the boys were just babies. She loved being a mom and spending time with them, but she was always such an extrovert - lively, exuberant & independent. She craved the company of other adults, and she missed indulging her artistic side. The class had been her creative outlet and week by week her flower arrangements became bigger, brighter and more elaborate. In just a year she had clipped, pruned and ribboned her way to becoming a qualified florist. That Christmas, Jasper's gift to her was the lease to a small store. She could work from home until the boys started school and daycare and her hours could suit the needs of her young family whilst still being Alice, and not just "mom". Jasper was giving her the best of both worlds.

I plucked a small but perfectly formed creamy rose from the nearest bucket. "It's amazing you know…..these flowers…the store…you"

She grinned sheepishly from behind the counter. "Come on, you can help me make up some arrangements"

I willingly followed her to the back of the store, aptly named "Heaven Scent", to where the "work room" resided. It was a warm day out so I'd come wearing just jeans and an old t-shirt but Alice had the air conditioner blasting out an arctic temperature and the cold air hit me like a skinny dip in a pool full of ice.

"W-why is-is is soooo fr-freak-freaking cold?"

She tutted, looking less than impressed at my apparent lack of plant care knowledge. "Because heat makes all the delicate flowers wilt and zaps out all of their moisture, so they need to be cool at all times."

"Oh. Ok. Like Johnny Depp?…" I sniggered at my own joke and got only Alice's best death stare in return.

"Alright, no more jokes. Where do I start? I mean, what are we making?" I rubbed my arms to try and regain some heat.

She grinned "We'll I'm going to do an arrangement for a baby shower."

"So I just have to stand here and be your glamorous assistant right?"

"Wrong! You get to snip."

I sighed and picked up the clippers "You always give me the boring stuff." I pouted like a sullen child.

"Shut up and snip, I'm trying to create here!"

Three huge arrangements, numerous balloons and a couple of hours later we were sitting in the little coffee shop across the road.

I took a sip of my vanilla latte and swirled the rich caffeine goodness around my mouth, savouring it.

"So, you and Edward…"

The unexpected mention of Edward and the nature of her question had caught me off guard.

I swallowed my coffee and gaped at her in shock. "What??"

"You and Edward….I think he likes you!"

I rolled my eyes, frustrated. Alice's glasses could be annoyingly rose tinted at times.

"Alice, in case you haven't noticed I'm all broken and bitter….dark and twisty! I'm not exactly a great catch, especially for a guy like Edward!"

"A guy like Edward? What's wrong with him?"

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with him - that’s my point! He's perfect! He should be dating Victoria's Secret models with boobs out to here and legs up to here!" I gestured wildly with my hands, over-exaggerating the size of said imaginary chest/legs.

"What on earth makes you say that?" Alice was looking at me, genuine curiosity sparkling in her eyes.

"Because the beautiful date the beautiful..." Alice cut me off sharply.

"And you don't think you're beautiful?"

"Would Jake have cheated on me with Leah and gotten her pregnant if I was? So no, I don't..."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Designs Zauberkarussel kit.